Tuesday, November 20, 2012

OWH Sketch 147 & a recipe for you

Here is this week's Sketch 147 at the OWH Stars & Stamps Blog:
Here's my Valentine:
I used a digi by Paula S. and I can see that I should have tilted the digi a bit so the checkboard pattern is straight up & down, ah well... I always get tripped up by sketches with little strips, but I think this turned out to be an OK valentine for a guy. Thanks for stopping by; hope your Thanksgiving preparations are going well! I have about 11 large sweet potatoes baking in the oven! I'm making sweet potato souffle. Here's the recipe from a 1958 cookbook "Recipes from Old Virginia" (The Dietz Press, Richmond, VA): "SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE 1 cup milk/ 1/2 c. sugar/ 1 tsp. salt/ 3 tbsp. butter / 1 tsp. nutmeg/ 2 c. mashed sweet potatoes/ 2 eggs, separated/ 1/2 c. chopped walnuts/ 1/2 c. raisins/ marshmallows. Scald milk and add sugar, salt, butter, nutmeg and potatoes; beat until fluffy. Beat egg yolks & add to potatoes. Add raisins & walnuts (I don't use raisins). Beat egg whites stiff; fold into potatoes and pour into greased baking dish. Bake in moderate over (350 deg. F) 50-60 min. or until firm. top with marshmallows. Serves eight." This dish is already so rich that I don't put marshmallows on top; I just sprinkle some walnuts. Everybody loves it. My older sister, Rita (16 when I was born) married the son of a farmer from outside Richmond. She had this cookbook and she was a great cook. When she passed away (about 20 years ago) I said I'd like to have her cookbook. I always think of my big sister when I use it. Most people already have a favorite sweet potato recipe, but if you try this, I hope you like it!

7 comments:

Cheryl A said...

I love your colors, great for both men and women. The digi is just great, either the checkerboard will be off kilter or the envelope won't be level! Either way is great! TFS!

BobbisTreasure said...

Love the striking black, white, and red! And I am a sucker for ric rac... Great card!

Donna Hanley said...

Sherri, this is a super nice card and I really like the ric rac. I just love that square lattice embossing folder.
Sounds like a good recipe but I would only be making it for myself. Not one person in my family (except me) likes sweet potatoes. I wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving.

AllisonG said...

I love red, white and black color combo! I have plans this week to make more love/valentine cards for my box - I better get going on that, huh?! LOL

SusanS said...

Very Nice ! The bold red against the black and white patterns is a rich, classy look.

Linda said...

Super striking card...tfs!!!

Payne Holler Cards said...

Great valentine for a guy! Didnt even notice checkerboard was crooked (-:
Your recipe sounds delish, but the memory it brings you is most precious...
Hope you are enjoying a fab Thanksgiving!
Hugs
Linda